Roy Beniston is gearing up to lead his second ride out of the year next Sunday entitled “Coastal, Country & Conifers”.
Meeting at the normal place ASDA lorry park with fuel & toilets available nearby. Please arrive between 9.00am for a chat with a pre-ride briefing before an earlier set off than normal at 9.15am.
The whole route concentrates on ‘B’ roads & minor scenic by-ways with one boring short stretch of main road after the lunch stop. Total mileage 179 miles with a planned fuel stop around lunchtime.
1st Leg-Harrogate to Castle Howard-53 miles.
• Head out towards Ripley and turn off for Knaresborough.
• Taking back roads via Scotton, Staveley & Minskip to Boroughbridge.
• Onto Aldwark Toll Bridge via Lower & Upper Dunsforth.
• Continue to Huby and Oswaldkirk, then head toward Hemsley, turning off to Hovingham and onto Castle Howard for mid-morning coffee stop.
2nd Leg-Castle Howard to Filey-34 miles.
• Leave Castle Howard heading East and Kirkham Abbey [Note: After joining the A64 be prepared for a first Right Turn for the Abbey].
• Continue via Duggleby, North Grimstead, West & East Lutton and Weaverthorpe towards Filey.
• Lunch stop at Reighton Sands or Hunmanby depending on weather conditions.
3rd Leg-Filey to Harrogate-92 miles.
• After lunch take the A165 past Filey & Cayton Bay onto Scarborough.
• Straight through the centre of Scarborough over the suicide “Valley Bridge” and join up with the A171 toward Whitby [This is the only boring bit of the ride-out so stick with it because it is worth it for what follows].
• Before reaching Whitby after Cloughton we take a left turn to go through Langdale and Dalby Forest trails [approx. 18 miles].
• Note: This left turn is immediately after a sharp rise. The turn off will be a double marked drop off, otherwise you will risk shooting by the junction!
• After the forestry trails we end up in Thornton-le-Dale where we can stop for an ice cream if this is the general wish.
• We then work our way home via the A170, Kirby Moorside, Helmsley, Sutton Bank, to Thirsk.
• Turn left at the roundabout and pickup the A19 with an immediate right turn to join the A168.
• Take the off slip-road toward Boroughbridge, staying on the A168 [old A1].
• Straight over all the islands continuing on the A168.
• After Boroughbridge take a right turn to Arkendale, straight across the junction to Farnham, Scotton and Ripley where we end our run. ENJOY!!
As this is clearly the last Sunday summer ride out, it would be great to get a good turnout, so take the opportunity to enjoy an entertaining ride lead by Roy with something for everyone to enjoy.
Contact details: Ride Leader-Roy 07539 690274, TEC-Barry 07847 786608